.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, July 02, 2015

 

A Brilliant View of Post-conjunction of Venus and Jupiter (2 July 2015)

Venus and Jupiter as seen at around 18:00 ACST from Largs Bay, Adelaide on 2 July. 2 second exposure at ASA400  with my Canon IXUS. Click to embiggen.Venus and Jupiter as seen at around 18:00 ACST from Largs Bay, Adelaide on 2 July. 4 second exposure at ASA400 3x zoom with my Canon IXUS. Click to embiggen.

Tonight's view of the conjunction (well strictly post conjunction)  was brilliant, with amazingly clear skies. I was able to get some nice shots off in between organising dinner for the family (take-away chicken and chips, I am nothing f not a gourmand). The sky was gorgeous, the pair of Venus and Jupiter brilliant and close (Jupiter is the dimmer one closer to the horizon).

Compare this shot with those from July 1 and  June the 28th, 21st and 20th

My image of Jupiter and Venus taken through the 114 mm Newtonian with 32 mm eyepiece and my Canon IXUS using infinity to infinity focusing (400 ASA, 1 second exposure).

Everything is over exposed as I can't go below 1 second exposure, and being an idiot I did not dial down the ASA rating (hits self on forehead).

In the eyepeice the crescent shape of Venus and the bands of Jupiter were clear. The pair also fitted into the  25 mm eyepiece FOV, but given the drift rate, I did not image them at the higher magnification. The 8" has a time drive, but with the cold and having to run in and out organising  dinner the hassle of dragging it out and setting it up just didn't appeal.

Venus and Jupiter as seen at around 19:00 ACST from Largs Bay, Adelaide on 2 July. 4 second exposure at ASA400  with my Canon IXUS. Click to embiggen.Venus and Jupiter as seen at around 19:00 ACST from Largs Bay, Adelaide on 2 July. 4 second exposure at ASA400 3x zoom with my Canon IXUS. Click to embiggen.

But still, I saw it, and it was terrific! The show is still not over. Over the next few nights the pair will draw apart, and on the 18th and 19th they are joined by the thin crescent Moon.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?